Unionville, MI sits at the crossroads M 25 and M 138. A town surrounded by agriculture, small wood plots, and local wildlife.
History of Unionville, Michigan
On July 15, 1875, land was assigned to Marvin W. Kramer by President Franklin Pierce. Mr. Kramer named the site "Kramertown". The name would not stay in use. Other early settlers include the families of Mathias Bitzer, Leo. Rumple, Wesley Hess, Daniel Marvin, Horace Marvin, Almon Achenbach, David Clark, Jacob Gould, Allen Brewer, John Covey, and William Davis. Many of these family names still exist in the area. The settlement would later be named Unionville in honor of town in Ohio. Unionville became incorporated as village on April 1, 1853.
Some of the following events took in place in the early years of the area. Horace C. Marvin built the first home made of logs in 1854. Reverend Klumph preached the first sermon in the home of Samuel B. Covey in 1855. Mr. Covery and his son-in-law, William Davis started selling general merchandise from Mr. Covey's home in 1856. Mr. Covey also became the first postmaster of the area in 1858. On September 12, 1855, John Brewer was the first child born. Dr. Granger came to Unionville as the first physician in 1867. After Unionville became incorporated in 1853, Horace Marvin became the first village president. The first council meeting was held on May 1, 1879.
The first village ordinances included "livestock prohibited from running at large," "no fire crackers" and "The national game of ball playing prohibited on business streets."
While farming was usually the first occupation of settlers in the area, many would turn to lumbering because it paid more money and not as hard to do. Thus lumbering is the first big industry in the area. After the clearing of the forests due to lumbering and the fires of 1871 and 1881, lumbering ended and farming took over as the major industry of the area.